Finnish as a Second Language
High-quality Finnish language courses at the University of Oulu offer you a strong start into learning Finnish and a path to continue your Finnish studies all the way to more advanced working life Finnish courses.
These courses are taught by the University of Oulu's qualified, and much liked, Finnish-language teachers, who will be there to support you along the way.
The University of Oulu offers participants also from outside the university (non-degree students) to participate in the university's Finnish languages courses. Non-degree students can apply for all other Finnish courses, execpt the Survival Finnish Course and Beginners' Finnish Course 1. The courses have a certain numbers of seats reserved for non-degree students, varying from course to course. These Finnish as a second language courses are part of the normal university course offering, and thus, most of the courses are held during the day.
Finnish language courses organized by the unit Languages and Communication
Elementary level (A1)
Intermediate level (A2-B1)
- Intermediate Finnish Course 1, 5 ECTS
- Intermediate Finnish Course 2, 5 ECTS
- Intermediate Finnish Course 3, 5 ECTS
Advanced level (B1–B2)
- Special Course in Finnish: Writing Skills 3 ECTS
- Conversational Skills in Finnish 3 ECTS
- Finnish Language Workshop 2 ECTS
- Ready, Set, YKI! Prep course for national language test, 3 ECTS
Finnish language courses organized by the Faculty of Humanities, Working Life Finnish
Advanced level (B1-B2/C1)
- Knowledge of Language Structures 1, 5 ECTS
- Knowledge of Language Structures 2, 5 ECTS
- Language Training 1 Finnish Society and Work Communities, 2 ECTS
- Language Training 2 Culture and Communication in Finnish, 2 ECTS
- Language Training 3, Professional Expertise and Communication in Finnish, 2 ECTS
- Language Training 4 Communication in Job Search, 2 ECTS
- Getting to know Working Life – Orientation to Work-life in Finnish, 2 ECTS
- Getting to know Working Life – Practical training, 5 ECTS
- Academic Writing and Reading, 5 ECTS
- Academic Speaking and Interaction skills, 5 ECTS
- Advanced Practical Training, 5 ECTS
The Finnish teachers of the University of Oulu are happy to help you to choose the right-level Finnish language course for you. To participate on the Finnish courses, you will need to apply for a non-degree study right in the eForms-sytem. See the instructions here.
International students and personnel of the University of Oulu:
Please see the information on the Languages and Communication Unit website.
The University of Oulu has a compherensive selection of Finnish language courses to choose from.
If you are interested in taking Finnish courses at the University of Oulu, please contact:
Finnish language courses organized by the Unit Languages and Communication
- Elementary level: Heidi Niskanen, email email@example.com
- Intermediate and advanced level: Arja Haapakoski, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Finnish language courses organized by the Faculty of Humanities, Working Life Finnish: Finnish lecturer, Anne Koskela, email email@example.com